Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Action Heats up at the Winter Classic


This last weekend we were treated with another volleyball tournament at the Broward Convention Center in Fort Lauderdale. Once again we were treated with the amazing site of seeing volleyball players of all ages and categories, drama played out on 16 courts, where dreams were realized or crushed. There were winners and losers at each age group. Once again the overall winner is the continued growth of Volleyball in South Florida.

I cannot continue without first congratulating the organizers and volunteers for putting up such an organized event. They should be proud for the amazing turnout and overall outcome of the sport. Kudos are in order for each one of you.



There were 120 (teams) that participated in the Volleyball Classic. Some came as far as Gainesville and Orlando. If you calculate that each team had at least ten players, plus two support staff such as a coach and assistant coach, you can be safely calculate that we had over 1,500 players playing at one time or another.


So, can one say that everyone went home a winner? Of course. Those that left defeated will come back to compete another day. Those that went home with a trophy can celebrate the moment, one they may or may not repeat in the future. Such is volleyball . . . such is life.


It was an awesome two days that had both parents and players going home tired, with the noise of what seemed hundreds of incessant whistles and screaming still ringing in their ears. But I am sure they all left with the same feeling I had, satisfaction. Great tourney, great performance, great experiences.


It was great to see all of the families supporting their kids to become better players and better people. We came accross FIU's MB Sabrina Gonzalez supporting her younger sister Giselle on the VPA15's team pictured below.


Special Thanks again to Philip "Flip" Littke for his great pictures capturing the action that we all witnessed this past weekend at the Winter Classic.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let parents and players know that I took over 800 pictures of our girls in action.

Most were of my daughter and her team, but I also took pics upon the request of the blogmaster, John Zaldivar, of random players throughout the tourney.

Most noticed me, approached me and asked me if I was the "tournament photographer", and I replied that I was merely taking random action pictures, and was an avid amateur photographer. To those parents I accepted their special request and took some pics I hope they enjoy.

I hope I was able to capture your child's picture in this tourney. If not, perhaps in the next one!

You can see more of the girls volleyball pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq

Flip said...

I'm sorry, but that link won't work. Will ask the Blogmaster to post the correct ones.

I also wish to thank the Blogmaster, Mr. John Zaldiva, for all of his efforts in making this site super cool for the girls!