Saturday, October 24, 2009

Q & A with West Broward Head Coach Jill Smitherman


We recently had a chance to sit down and talk with Coach Jill Smitherman of West Broward who last year lead her team in it's inaugural fall season to the second round of the Broward County District Playoffs. Now in 2009 she has the team on the right course as West Broward leads District 12-6A with a 13-4 overall record and 5-0 within the district. The team is lead by top defender Emily Navarette, who is tied for third in Digs in Broward County with a 13.7 avg.

We hope you enjoy the insight and knowledge that Coach Smitherman shares with us today.

SFVR: At what point in your life did you realize that Volleyball would be important to you?
Smitherman: I started playing volleyball late by today’s standards, my junior year in high school. After college, I began teaching and coaching. I headed the junior varsity and freshmen squads, where I soon realized that I loved the teaching aspect of the sport. It was very important to me that a player develops the skill correctly, and not just be happy with a good result. I learned early on that bad habits are very difficult to break, so I focused on constructive coaching.

SFVR: Describe your experience as a former player at the University of Albany and how you have been able to apply lessons to your players?
Smitherman: Transitioning to the next level of play was a learning experience, as I had to compete for a starting position, which was unfamiliar territory for me. There were players who were taller, faster and more powerful hitters than I had ever come across. I had been a middle blocker up until that point, and needed to evolve as an outside hitter in order to get a starting position. I spent two years at Albany and decided to pursue a different educational path. I finished my college career at Cortland, NY, where I once again needed to evolve, moving from left side to right side hitter/secondary setter. Being more versatile can have its benefits, and allowing yourself to grow as a player and learn what it takes to help the team succeed is a lesson I try to incorporate into the vision of the teams that I coach. If you view change as a sacrifice, I believe you are settling because there is so much to learn.

SFVR: What lessons where learned by recently retired Cypress Bay Coach Barry Sikorski, where you were an assistant?
Smitherman: Working with Barry has been a phenomenal experience, one of the best learning environments I have had. He is a great mentor and friend. When I returned to teaching after starting a family, I did not have any intentions on coaching again. Barry asked me to head his JV team and it was the best decision I made. We worked very well together and had similar coaching strategies. Barry was one of the best at communicating to his players exactly what was expected. He was also tremendously passionate about performance. He worked and worked until it was right. Another lesson I learned while there dealt with decision-making.

I recall a time where injuries occurred and Barry needed to use players in different/multiple positions on the court. It was like watching a chess game in which he knew exactly how the game was going to be played out before the outcome had taken place, even though everyone else seemed to be confused! His awareness of key matchups and getting the most out of his players are skills I learned from one of the best. I was sad to see him retire, and I hope he is enjoying every minute of it.

SFVR: What improvements have you seen both player and team wise since you started coaching in South Florida?
Smitherman: I had a twelve-year hiatus from coaching since I left NY and when I came to Florida. I have noticed that in that time, the game has evolved to a much more technical, fast-paced powerful game. Today’s player continues to play year-round, which is something I did not experience. The caliber of play is therefore greater. The teams that have more year-round players tend to be more dominating. I believe that SF has such an advantage with players being able to play all year long, on the beach, travel, whatever, that the athletes can really have an impact as leaders on the court. It promotes the game for the younger players and that can only help volleyball in South Florida.

SFVR: How have your team goals changed from the beginning of the year to the present?
Smitherman: At the end of last season, after losing in the second round of districts, we set our goals for this year. These outcome-oriented goals have remained unchanged, but the process-oriented goals have become more specific. Each player on this squad understands the importance of improving a specific skill set in order to improve our overall game. We want to win, and we want to play well.

SFVR: With such a young program what do you attribute to the teams success?
Smitherman: We have a great amount of chemistry on this team. It was one of my initial goals as we opened the new school to have former rivals come together. I am also thankful to have versatility, as I have several players that can play virtually any position on the floor. The girls work very hard and are very supportive of each other. I have been some of the girls’ coach since they were on JV at Cypress, so they know my system and the expectations I have.

SFVR: If a player wants to play at the next level, what do you recommend she does?
Smitherman: Although I do not coach club due to family commitments, I do recommend that the players play during the off-season. The opportunity to play throughout Florida and other states brings tremendous exposure to the athlete. Playing at higher levels of competition improves their game and contributes to higher success at the high school level as well. If a player wants to succeed at the next level, they must strengthen all the tools which college will need; time management and good study habits, as well as improve their physical training and skills.

SFVR: Coach, Thank you for sharing your knowledge and passion for teaching the sport of Volleyball. You are one of the many reasons that Volleyball in South Florida is
Flourishing!

No comments: