Friday, October 16, 2009

New Club is looking for Players that are ready to FLY!


We had the pleasure of meeting with Coach Shanower during last years club season. He was coaching a very talented team in the 17U division: The South Florida Flyers.

After great success with the 17U team that won and or placed very high in several tournaments, Coach Greg Shanower looks to expand the club experience to all age groups.

We contacted coach Shanower and asked him a few questions about this upcoming club season and to get a better idea of what it's like to be a Flyer.

SFVR: Coach, please expound on your motivation to offer your volleyball teaching to a wider age group of Players?
Shanower: I only had one team last year for the South Florida Flyers. People kept asking me if I was going to have more age divisions for the 2010 season. I got so many calls and emails that I decided that I should try this year to expand the club. When my friend, Geronimo Chala (a former professional player) told me he would help me, it was a no brainer. With his experience I figured we could put together a club that would help kids learn how to develop and practice their volleyball skills.

SFVR: What are your goals for the 2010 Club Season?
Shanower:I want to put a very competitive club together. I really just want to help develop Miami volleyball as much as I can.

SFVR:Where will your try-outs and or practices take place?
SHANOWER: Tryouts for girls ages 10-14 will be held at Ferguson High School on Oct. 22nd from 6PM-8PM, with registration beginning at 5:30PM. I am aware that some girls might just be finishing games for their Middle Schools, no problem. Come in your Middle School uniforms and if your a little bit late we'll evaluate every player.

A second Tryout will be held for girls ages 10-18 at Killian on Nov. 22. Players 10-14 will have their Try-out from 3PM-4:30PM and ages 15-18 from 4:30PM to 7PM.

SFVR: When it comes to the coaches that will be working with you, are you looking for a certain criteria in that person?
Shanower:I am looking for people who have a knowledge of volleyball with a passion to teach kids.

SFVR: What type of learning environment are you looking to create?
Shanower: I try to have a very family oriented program. I just think that if you involve the family you tend to get more from your players. The parents need to know the coaches and trust that you are doing the best thing for their kids.


SFVR: We understand that there are many expenses involved in offering a top notch Volleyball club, but when it comes to Pricing – will you take our current economy into account?
Shanower: There are many things that my club does different than other clubs to keep the price down for kids. First we stay in vacation homes rather than hotels. Second when we go to the travel tournaments we cook in the house. The third is that I do not have to rent the gym space at Ferguson, that really helps. We are looking to keeping the tri-county teams price to around $1,000 and national teams about $1500. Which makes our club one of the more reasonable clubs in the area.

SFVR: Will you offer, tri-county, state and national teams?
Shanower: I will offer both, problem is, you never know what you are going to get until tryouts. But our 17u club last year was a national team that went to Atlanta and Orlando. It was a great time.

SFVR: We really love the name “Flyers” and we were wondering; what was the motivation of using that name?
Shanower: I am from Ohio and there is a college named Dayton Flyers. I always liked that name. When I created the club I just kept thinking of names and the "FLYERS" just kind of stuck in my head. The name made me think of girls flying high over the net, putting the ball straight down. The girls, on the other hand started to think of butterflies and angel wings. Our first year at AAU, the girls even got me in a pair of fairy wings. Let me tell you, that was not a pretty sight. Please no pictures.

SFVR: Coach we wish you and your Flyers Club the best in the upcoming season.

For More information visit the Flyers site by CLICKING HERE.

Note: If you have yet to commit to a club for the 2010 season I think it wise to give this club a look. Both Ferguson and Killian are relatively close to the Turnpike which makes this club accessible to many players from as north as Hialeah and Doral and as South as Homestead.

I Guess you have to ask yourself one question: "Are you Ready to FLY?"



No comments: